Weekend Update: Jazzy Sunday

Midterms stressing you out? Yeah me too. Why do you think I'm writing this? If you guessed "to avoid all life responsibilities" you are 100% correct. Welcome to the little corner of paradise that doesn't require you to make a bajillion flashcards or turn out a paper. Welcome, to the land of procrastination.

I was well aware of how stressful midterms could be, so to prepare myself I de-stressed ahead of time. Or at least that's how I justified running downtown to enjoy a jazz concert. Does the reason really matter?


Baton Rouge started up their Sunday in the Park series again this fall, and this past weekend they had Brass-A-Holic Nation come to perform. Even though I'd never heard of the New Orleans based band, I was automatically invested. Because any jazz band that makes a pun with their name is a jazz band for me. 

I packed up my stuff (even managed to bring some homework) and headed downtown where I found a city filled with life and happiness. It was refreshing to see so many people taking in the great weather and even better music. 

If you know me you know that I LOVE jazz music. I'm the only teenage I know that cites Motown as her favorite genre, and the sound of a saxophone sends my heart racing. This was the perfect getaway for me before the 'hellish' week of midterms began. I danced my heart out with a lady who owned the biggest 'Sunday church hat' I have ever seen (she was rocking it by the way),  and managed to make friends with the older couple that watched over my stuff while I was celebrating the day.

So go out and explore your city. You'll find so much more than you though existed, and hey, maybe you'll meet a new person or two.

The young, and the young at heart, danced the day away.

I hope your midterms aren't too horrible. Don't forget to take a break every now and then. Read a blog, grab a cup of coffee, and buy yourself an almond croissant [I just discovered them and have eaten one a day for more days in a row than I'd like to admit]. Anyway, keep your chin up, you're almost to Friday.

- Ally


No comments