The Long Weekend: an experience of a lifetime

Coming out of my junior year of high school I was scouring the internet for good journalism programs for the summer. I needed to do something, I couldn't just sit at home all summer. I needed to write.

I got into NYU's Pre-College program, but after laughing off the $13,000 admission price I moved on to another option. The University of Alabama's Multicultural Journalism Workshop, also known as the best week of journalism in. my. life.

The Multicultural Journalism Workshop accepts 15 students from across the nation for a full scholarship to attend a week long program in Tuscaloosa, AL. I'll have more details about each day in future posts, but let me just preface with the fact that this program blew my expectations out of the water.

The program started off with 'The Long Weekend', a journalism seminar for students entering grades 6-12. It's jam-packed with journalism workshops and classroom lectures with a final project at the end to showcased what you've learned.

Here's a look:


I absolutely love this title page. It's bright, colorful, and detailed. I used identical cards from the Midnight Core Kit on the top and identical cards from the Sunshine Core Kit on the bottom. The alphas are from American Crafts. I used an old Studio Calico date stamp to document the beginning and end of the weekend, and then I scripted 'the university of alabama' at the bottom of the layout. 



The above photo is from the first day of brainstorming and lectures. The 'Today' washi is from the Walden Project Life Kit from Studio Calico. The bottom photo is my lovely Team Yellow group that helped me fall back in love with journalism. The sticky note-tab is from the Park Ave. Project Life Kit and the twine is from the Walden kit. I tried to make a bow, now it just looks like some abstract object, it's cool, I've accepted it.

Hope your day is full of trafficless rides and warm cups of coffee.

xo

Ally

No comments